Sunday, November 2, 2014

Vertical Rock and Coopers

The first competition of the season was two Saturdays ago held at Vertical Rock. The Boneyard Boulder Bash! I had been looking forward to the event and was planning on staying to compete in open afterwards. In the youth redpoint round I started off slow and then surprised myself by flashing the third hardest problem. Once I did that I realized the level of the climbs and sent problems 2-7. Then I could spend the rest of the comp projecting the hardest two. I figured I only had time to send one of the two so I chose to focus on the one more my style, large powerful moves on pinches, rather than finicky crimps. After maybe 6 or 7 tries I sent and was super psyched to have done the hardest problem in the gym. I won youth A as well as the overall score for the youth competition and was really happy! I also got a badass golden skeleton trophy. Then after an hours rest (and someone taking my climbing shoes) it was time for the adult redpoint round in my busted up shoes. I was able to redo the hard problems and qualified for finals in 2nd. The first of two final boulders was very much so my style a dyno to heel hooks and big moves on pinches and slopers. I sent on two attempts, after an unfortunate foot slip. The second climb was a slab (oh, great) involving a balanced mantle that I just could not do. I finished off my first open competition in 3rd!

We also made it out to Coopers Rock, WV for a day trip. It was my first time out there, and although we didn't get on that many boulders, it was still nice to finally see the area after so many trips cancelled due to weather. I got to do so many fun moderates!

No comments:

Post a Comment